Adoptive Moms, help me out. I am trying to figure out for Isa's adoption announcements and Lifebook what is officially 'Gotcha Day' and 'Forever Family Day'. Are those the same dates? I think her official date of adoption is when the adoption decree was signed (Jan 24?) or no? I am confused. If any of you can clarify for me, that would be great!
[Donate to the Moser family's mission in Vancouver! Click HERE to give online.]
Monday, March 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Yeah, that's pretty confusing. We have to search in all of our paperwork for the "Adoption Decree" and the official date of adoption every time we have to find it for insurance or something.
We are trying to decide if we are going to celebrate the day we were united with Jadon or the day he came to America, and then I am not sure what we'll call it. Maybe "Jadon's Day" so it'll just be his special day in our family. I think most people go with the day the child was received as the "gotcha day," but everyone is different.
I think it is just up to you and your family as to what day you celebrate and what you call it.
I also think people chose the dates that they want to. :)
We decided to use the day we came home - October 15th - as our special day. (we still aren't sure what we are going to call it)
I too think it's whatever day you want to celebrate. We call ours Forever Family Day and chose the day we got her in Guatemala on our pickup trip since that was the day we were a family of three forever. I was deciding between that date and the day we arrived home in the US.
I think Gotcha day is when you actually get the baby in your arms. We just did our announcements and put our home date in the U.S. Cause we were not sure what date to use. Congrats on your new baby. What a great family. COurtney
I chose Dec 8, the day I received Finley forever, as our "Family Day," and that is how I referred to it on our announcements. I also put Dec 13, the day we arrived home as our "Home Forever" day.
I don't think it matters so much which day you choose or what you call it. I just think it is important to honor and remember those specials days!
I agree that most people just chose the date that is most meaningful to them to celebrate. With Nik we have always celebrated our court date as gotcha day. I'm not sure why because we didn't even get to pick him up until the next day. With Moses we will celebrate the day we got him in Guatemala. In your situation the day you arrived home might be more meaningful because it was the first day you were all together as a family. I guess you just have to decide for yourself.
bekah,
I chose the date that we walked thru immigration. After all the delays, I was not going to assume anything was final until we cleared immigration in Houston and the uS had his packet from the embassy.
So as Bug grows up our family day will always be close to or on the last day of school- another thing to celebrate. I am not sure what we are going to do this year, but I have decided that it will always be a day for just Bug and I. We may celebrate being together forever, we may mourn what Bug has lost, we might just play hookey from work and daycare- but it will just us- no other family.
Love and hugs to you
Deb
PS- Samuel is beautiful- congratulations on the youngest addition to your family.
bekah,
I chose the date that we walked thru immigration. After all the delays, I was not going to assume anything was final until we cleared immigration in Houston and the uS had his packet from the embassy.
So as Bug grows up our family day will always be close to or on the last day of school- another thing to celebrate. I am not sure what we are going to do this year, but I have decided that it will always be a day for just Bug and I. We may celebrate being together forever, we may mourn what Bug has lost, we might just play hookey from work and daycare- but it will just us- no other family.
Love and hugs to you
Deb
PS- Samuel is beautiful- congratulations on the youngest addition to your family.
bekah,
I chose the date that we walked thru immigration. After all the delays, I was not going to assume anything was final until we cleared immigration in Houston and the uS had his packet from the embassy.
So as Bug grows up our family day will always be close to or on the last day of school- another thing to celebrate. I am not sure what we are going to do this year, but I have decided that it will always be a day for just Bug and I. We may celebrate being together forever, we may mourn what Bug has lost, we might just play hookey from work and daycare- but it will just us- no other family.
Love and hugs to you
Deb
PS- Samuel is beautiful- congratulations on the youngest addition to your family.
We chose to recognize the date we were home all together as our Forever Family day. Her Gotcha day is one day after our oldest son's bday,and we wanted to keep each special and put a little space between them.
So pick what you want to call it and what day you want to remember it as. :)
Post a Comment