Friday, February 26, 2010

Budget Cuts-Big Decisions

In January, Gov. Mitch Daniels began cutting school funding. Our district is now dealing with a $600,000 budget cut. Big changes are going to be happening. All decisions will be made on March 15th. Until then, we are just praying for wisdom for those making decisions. The biggest concern for me right now after speaking with the elementary principal last night, is the strong possibility of the schools having to cut bus routes which would lengthen the school day by an hour and 20 minutes. All day kindergarten was hard for me to think about when it was 8:00-2:30 but 8:00 to 3:40 for a 5 year old just seems way too long. If this would happen, we would strongly consider homeschooling. They will most likely be closing Matthews and Washington schools which will of course bring big changes to Upland Elementary with having to add an extra classroom per grade.

I told Drew when I got home last night that he should have been the one to go to the Kindergarten registration. Sending his pregnant, emotional wife was not the best idea for a normal registration without budget cut craziness.

There are a lot of parents who would have easily sent their children to Upland Elementary that are now reconsidering that. Pray for wisdom and guidance and that governments and school boards would find ways to provide quality education in spite of an economic recession.

4 comments:

betsy said...

Bek...
This seems to be happening all over to schools (making big changes due to budget cuts) it's so frustrating that they have to extend the school,etc.
I don't think I have ever voiced my opinion on your blog, but I wanted to share some opinions this time. Take it or leave them, no feelings hurt.
I would strongly advise against homeschooling and allow Benjamin to attend the public school. I think you are fully capable of homeschooling , don't get me wrong, but the social aspect for him at in a school environment, I feel is so important in kindergarten. Kids are amazing, I know you know that as well, and they are the MOST resilient human beings...the extension to the day will probably mean for full day kindergarten that they will have a nap/quiet time a little longer and do various activities. Yes, he will be tired the first few weeks, trust me , we all are. We are acclimating to our new schedules. I think you should give it a shot...With a new baby on the way, two other little ones, you may need Benjamin to enjoy his classmates more than you know....just my opinion...
That's my soap box...sorry, but wanted to share.
Lots of love and happy weekend!
xo Betsy

Laura said...

First I want to say congratulations! I have been in Arizona with the kids the last few weeks and missed your excited news about the new baby!
I also wanted to share what Scott and I are doing about schooling...Mateo just turned 5 so we knew we would not do anything until next year. We looked at all our options and decided to homeschool, after just having Adeline I was a bit overwhelmed but I am not ready to send my 5 year old off for the whole day, I know that would not be the best thing for our active little boy. About the social aspect, I hear this concern all the time. First there is tons of homeschooling groups that provide social interaction and support. Also between, church, activities and oh yes younger siblings I feel like the social aspect is not a concern. I know it will be work but only Scott and I are responsible for this little soul he has given us, do what is right for your family and your children, don't let others dictate that. Ok I am off my soapbox now :) let me know if you have any questions! Good luck and I hope this pregnancy is a smooth one.

Honour said...

Can you wait and send him when he is six? I wasn't happy with all-day kindergarten at Archbold, but having my sons be the "old" ones in thier classes has molified me somewhat. Plus, I like to think that starting them in school later gives them an extra year of childhood. Weston, our spring baby, was the only one that would have had a go-early choice, but entering school as a six year old definately gave him a bit of an edge. For us, this was the best choice.

And, as a former Homeschooled student, the "socialization" fear is one that we heard ALL THE TIME. I don't think it should be big part of your consideration for making your schooling choices.

BrittneyJay said...

Yes, it's a wonder how anyone was socially well-adjusted before public education came along to save us all. ;)